Volunteer, Internship and Career Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in joining our global community, working towards access to equitable healthcare and education for all South Africans.
We are currently hiring at this time. Please send applications to email@example.com.
Director of Finance and Administration Position Description
South Africa Partners, a non-profit organization, seeks a full time Director of Finance and Administration who will manage all financial, compliance, and administrative functions. The position is based in Boston, MA.
About South Africa Partners
Established in 1998, South Africa Partners’ work is rooted in the understanding that the end of apartheid did not end the exclusion of South Africa’s majority from access to the foundations of a just democracy. For over 20 years, we have worked with our partners in government, private industry, civil society and academia towards closing this gap, to provide access to quality health and education for all. Working between South Africa and the U.S., we catalyze change across sectors, disciplines and borders to improve health and education outcomes in underserved South African communities. Serving as a catalyst and incubator for innovative approaches, South Africa Partners links people, strengthens communities, promotes social justice and fosters leadership in both countries. The mutually beneficial partnerships we’ve built between South Africa and the United States have unlocked an invaluable exchange of human and financial resources towards common goals.
Our current work focuses on three areas:
- Providing care and support to people living with and at risk for HIV/AIDS
- Increasing the capacity of health leaders to drive health system transformation
- Supporting young children to reach their full potential in life through child development initiatives
The fiscal year 2020 budget is $4 million, supported by federal grants, foundation grants, and private donations. South Africa Partners is headquartered in Boston and has a country office in Johannesburg, South Africa. South Africa Partners employs 4-5 people in Boston and approximately 30 people in South Africa.
Working Hours: Full-time
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; full benefits
Reporting: Executive Director
Supervises: Accountant in Boston and Financial Controller in South Africa
The Director of Finance and Administration manages the financial resources of the organization and oversees accounting, compliance, grants management and contracts, and operations. She/he participates as a member of senior leadership in the development and implementation of organizational and program budgets, administrative systems and organization-wide policies and procedures. The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Executive Director and provides guidance and support to the Country Director in South Africa regarding financial management, grants management, and compliance. The close collaboration with the leadership in South Africa may require travel to South Africa 1 to 2 times per year.
Financial and Grants Management:
- Provide oversight of the development of strategic budget and financial planning processes, establishing assumptions, and projections including managing staff allocations and financial planning across intersecting grants.
- Ensure grant funds are administered in accordance with funder requirements.
- Oversee all financial reporting to ensure accuracy as well as implement processes that will increase accessibility of information for senior leadership and ensure information on grant financials for initiative managers.
- Provide guidance to program staff on how to most effectively develop proposals and budgets, anticipating potential logistical or administrative challenges.
- Oversee the process of complex sub-award administration arrangements to partner organizations.
- Oversee the full range of accounting activities including accounting, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, tax audit coordination, accounts payable/receivables, purchasing, payroll, cash management, and insurance.
- Oversee human resources systems providing the structures and supports needed to help our team work effectively with a positive, dynamic team culture.
- Maintain up to date human resources policies in both South Africa and the Boston offices.
- Onboard new team members.
- Ensure adequate and appropriate access to information systems.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in a relevant field such as public administration, business administration, or non-profit management a plus.
- Minimum of 6 years of financial and organizational management with increasing responsibility. Experience with non-profit financial management.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and analytical abilities. Advanced written and verbal communication skills required.
- Extensive experience with US Government, USAID, CDC grants and cooperative agreement rules and regulations
- Strong command of Excel, Quickbooks and other financial and project management platforms
- International non-profit experience and knowledge of South Africa
- Absolute honesty and integrity; ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Strategic thinker
- Demonstrated and consistent use of good judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with cross cultural team members
- Ability to mentor other staff and give direction
- Team player
- Professional and mature demeanor
- Flexible work style
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.